BROOKTOWN WSOP

Saturday, February 23, 2008

METS-PHILLIES "RIVALRY"

This whole Mets-Phillies rivalry is getting pretty funny don’t ya’ think. I understand the owners and the league and the media want nothing more than to try and create some type of Yankee-RedSox thing down here, but I don’t know. I mean these teams have been in the NL East together for nearly 40 years, and last year was the first time I could remember both teams being good at the same time for it to matter.

In the golden Phillie era of 1976-1983 the Mets were a disgrace, and during the Mets Dynasty years of 1986-1986 the Phillies finished 22 games out of first. Last year there was no race until the Mets lost 12 of their last 17 games and the Phills came out of nowhere to win a division that was handed to them on a silver platter.

So now we have reports of Jimmy Rollins and Carlos Beltran’s guarantees, of fights, and of bad blood, but you can’t force a fight, and you can’t force a rivalry. The Yankees and Red Sox are pure, the fans hate each other, the teams haes each other and the cities hate each other…I don’t even know a Phillie fan for me to hate. I can’t even think of a Phillie fan celebrity whose movies I can start to dislike (yes, I’m a big Matt Damon and Jimmy Falon fan) so until both these teams can show a little consistency, and actually battle for a few divisions, this is still just a bunch of BS to me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home