BROOKTOWN WSOP

Saturday, May 24, 2008

GARY CARTER WANTS THE JOB

Well I'll give the Kid credit for giving an honest answer (that would be pretty refreshing to hear honesty come out of a Met manager's mouth) but I'm stunned at how he pulled no punches and didn't give the standard "I don't want to talk about someone else's job line" you always get.

Personally I'd much rather see Keith Hernandez get the offer, but I don't know if Keith has the commitment to a 162 game grind any more, but at this point, other than Rich Kotite or Issah Thomas I'm happy with anyone other than Willie in there.

Carter, when asked if he is interested in managing the Mets, should they fire Willie Randolph, said:

“Boy, I’ll tell you what, I would love that, guys. When I saw that on ESPN today, Mike & Mike, they were talking about it and immediately I got on the phone and I called Jay Horowitz and I asked, ‘Should I try to call Mr. Wilpon?’ If there is this going on I just want them to know of my availability. I’m only a phone call away because my contract allows me to leave the ball club. I could be in New York tomorrow, if necessary, because if there’s anything at the major league level I can leave this job…The comments that David Wright made saying that, you know, there’s no spark, there’s no fire, if anything I would love to bring that to the table because you know me, guys. I love the game, have a great passion for it and you know my enthusiasm, and hopefully I would be able to bring that to maybe help turn that ball club around. There’s way too much talent there for them to be a game under .500 and to lose four in a row to the Braves. That’s just kind of uncalled for and I think that they’ve just become complacent in some ways and ever since their demise of last year. And if you look at Willie’s record it is right around .500 since June of last year. And when you have that much talent there are a lot more expectations than where they’re at right now.”

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home